Fabric bins have been on my to do list forever. Just something I wanted to try, interfacing and all. When I realized I had no Easter baskets for the boys this motivated me to give it a whirl. After the bins serve their purpose as an Easter basket, we can put them to use in their rooms. I pulled out some fabric that matched their room decor and asked the four year old to pick his fabrics. The baby on the other hand had no choice, I picked what I liked. Sorry baby!
I found a tutorial that I liked via Pinterest on the Birch Fabrics blog. Side note, if you have never checked out their fabrics, you are missing out. They are beautiful. The Charley Harper and Feather River prints are my current favorites! I made the large bin and found the tutorial easy to follow. For the blue and yellow bin I followed the directions about putting the interfacing on the inside liner fabric and then I had trouble making the two bins (inside and outside) line up perfectly….it might have just been operator error. So on the second bin (the Riley Blake road trip fabric) I attached the interfacing to the outside fabric and did not have any trouble with the sizing of the inner and outer bins. It is possible I was just more careful. There is nothing more irritating than having to have fold overs to account for the inner liner and outer bin not matching up properly. Anyway, this was my first time using interfacing and I think all in all it was a successful project (minus the fact I busted a needle-oops!). Note to self, switch to a heavy duty needle before sewing interfacing!
Overall, very easy and quick….I cut out the fabrics and was able to sew them during the day while my 4 year old did a craft project. This is almost unheard of.
Yesterday we dyed our eggs. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and Easter.
My sister’s birthday was this month and she was visiting us for her birthday weekend! I had leftover fabric from a pillow I made last Christmas that I knew she liked. After looking around Pinterest awhile I did not see a pattern that worked perfectly for what I was thinking. So I used this basic tutorial for a lined zipper bag from Design Sponge. However, I made the shape more triangular.
I like how it turned out. The only thing I wasn’t satisfied with was where the zipper get sewn together.
I had trouble lining them up perfectly. I have seen some folks who cover the zipper ends with fabric before stitching them to the sides, and wonder if this might work with this pattern design? I have a few more zippers, so maybe I’ll try it out next time! Truth be told, this is actually the second pouch I made. I liked my sister’s so much I made one for myself. Merry unbirthday to me.
You know those projects that you start and then NEVER finish? Yeah, me too. I have lots of them. I started this baby blanket probably 5 or 6 years ago.
It was originally going to be for my cousin’s new baby, then when I didn’t finish it in time, it was going to be for a friend’s new baby, then another friend. Then I realized I really just wanted it to be for my baby. One that I did not yet have. So I finished the front of this blanket and another one and I put them away.
Four years ago, after my son was born I pulled out the blue one and finished it up for him. This one still sat in my sewing bin and I knew/hoped I would use it for my second child. Now that baby #2 is almost 9 months old I figured I should finish it up!
I don’t have much quilting experience. So I just kind of did what I thought was right. I used a basic subway tile type pattern using all sorts of leftover fabric I had. The circle fabric that covers the back is my favorite. Glad to have one more thing checked off my 1/2 finished project list! Onward and upward to the next thing…..
One of things I am trying to force myself to do is use up or sell my fabric. It is amazing what you can accumulate over time and we are trying to get rid of excess stuff (for many reasons). I still love to sew, but don’t need everything I now have. So, when we were invited to a baby shower for a friend I knew this would be an easy way to use some fabric and make a nice gift. After looking around Pinterest for ideas I found a simple tutorial at Made by Rae for burp cloths.
I love that I was able to use up some fabric that I had, but still loved. I also was able to match up fabric to old t-shirts and used those for the other side of the burp cloth. The yellow one is my sister’s old Michigan shirt and the green one is an old Patagonia shirt I used to wear ALL the time. Good to know they get a second life!
As we pare down, and since we have had kids I find that simple gifts (giving and receiving) work best for our family. When others give more generously or lavishly I sometimes find myself wondering if what I have to give is enough. However, in this case my friend was so grateful and seemed to really love the present. Other people at the party even inquired about the process and commented on how nice it is to make something to give. It made me realize that my second guessing was not necessary. Baby shower success.